Wednesday, November 16, 2016

BAD Wedding Makeup


~WARNING: negative post containing photos of just my face~

My makeup was the only thing I cared about during wedding planning- aside from my dress of course. I have worked as a makeup artist for shoots back in college but I never called myself a professional. I made sure that my work was always clean and flawless in photos. IT NEVER MELTED. I have worked with dozens of makeup artists for different shoots, mostly in Manila and some in Cebu, and my makeup never melted even under the heat of the painful Cebu sun. I posed under the sun for hours for a photo on a yacht and got sunburned the next day! But my makeup was amazing even in iPhone photos. 

Now this deserves a post, not only because of the level of unprofessionalism, but because I still can't believe in the lack of skill of this makeup artist I chose...For the day I planned and spent my own money on. The day I chose to document on video and photo. The day I walked down the aisle with a frown on my face.


This was how the makeup looked up close on that first photo. It had already started to melt. I HAD NO IDEA, because I was busy the entire time and I just discovered this when my photographer handed me RAW photos last month. 


The makeup artist is behind me, "retouching" my makeup and fixing my hair. She did not attempt to fix my makeup at this point. I snapped this iPhone photo and put aside my phone, but I should've zoomed in...

I could've complained at this point but I was in a rush to take more photos and I forgot to zoom in and take a look at my face up close! I trusted her with my face (who wouldn't with the amount of money she charged + her flawless Instagram page?! ). Wrong move. LOOK AT THAT DETACHED EYELASH TOO. 


I was in the bridal car on our way to the church when I asked our assistant for a mirror and discovered the cakey mess that was on my face.


To make the long story short, I was frowning the entire time in our church videos- even during my walk down the aisle. Nobody knew what was going on except Darie and my coordinator, Tisha. They were both calling this makeup artist left and right (including Tisha's husband) because I needed my face fixed. No ANSWER. I couldn't accept that my guests had better makeup than me. And I COULD'VE DONE MY MAKEUP. I know my face, I have a makeup kit in my bag somewhere, but we had no time (late for church by minutes) and I left my bag at the hotel.

*EDIT: I slept a good 5.5 hours before my wedding and everyone knows this. I sleep at most 6 hours a day because that's just how I function. I was up by 6 AM because our agreement was to start makeup by 7. This didn't happen, it started at around 9 for me and I was left to wait and eat a platter of fruit while time was being wasted. This is to debunk her claims that I ruined my own makeup because of sleeplessness... Ha! 

She was also supposed to do my mom's makeup as part of the package but SHE DISAPPEARED. A makeup artist named Suzaine did her face and totally redid my makeup before our reception. Suzaine literally saved my face. 

Why is it a big deal? Every girl dreams of having the perfect day. I never did, my whole fam is anti-wedding (practical reasons and introverted reasons LOL) but I planned for this thing for months and envisioned a decent look/outfit. We did a successful makeup test days before. She also came in an hour an a half late and doubled the amount of foundation and primer on my wedding day. I knew it couldn't be a perfect event, and as much of a control freak that I am, I accepted that. BUT THIS MAKEUP ARTIST DISAPPEARED. She didn't take our calls, and finally she calls me around 7:30 PM (my reception started at 8 PM) saying that she was "stuck in traffic" and that what happened was "out of her control". Seriously?! She never arrived after that phone call, by the way. Never heard from her after that. 

The other reason why I was enraged was because I found out that she quadruple booked me! I talked to 3 other friends who claimed that she also said yes to them during my wedding date but never showed up. Her assistants did their makeup. She fooled me and she fooled my friends.

I have no problems against double-booking. Just make sure you do a good job, say goodbye properly and be honest with your clients! Don't butcher the bride's face, take no accountability and disappear. 

I'm tired of typing, I'm tired of this negativity. This post is here to help out other people planning on hiring her. This post was made to help other brides so they may be cautious of who they're hiring. DO NOT TRUST INSTAGRAM PORTFOLIOS. That is a highlight reel. Talk to those she's worked with and you will discover some more horror stories like mine.  

No thanks to my original makeup artist, E.D. 

And thank you to Suzaine for saving my face just in time for our reception:


MAC Studio Face & Body was used for my face later on which lasted the whole night even when I was sweating and dancing! Water-based makeup is the way to go.


The party was  A BLAST and I can't wait for our photos!!!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

She also did my make-up last March during my graudation. She came two hours late, making up a lame excuse that her assistant overslept and that she was "waiting" for her (she could have just went directly to the hotel). When she arrived at the hotel, she reeked of alcohol. I knew because she was breathing down my neck trying vainly to mask her alcohol breath by chewing gum. After that, she charged me with an exorbitant amount. So unrpofessional! Also, my eyelash extensions got detached during the graduation ceremony. Never booking her again.

Honey Andrade said...

Ramdam na ramdam ko yun galit mo.. So sorry it happened to you on a very special day. :(

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just wondering, are you talking about Erika diaz, want to know since I also hired her for my wedding. :(

Raleene said...

Yes, Erika Diaz.

Trashbag said...

Who did your make-up, Ral?

Anonymous said...

Hi just wondering how did suzaine fixed your foundation?

Anonymous said...

Not a pro and I cant even do my make up but I saw your picture on her ig and mukang mas okay nga yun probably because hindi ko zinozoom in and okay yung lightning, nakakalungkot lang na tagal mong pinag handaan yung wedding every detail ng kasal pinupulido mo then sa make up nagka flaws which is makikita mo sa lahat ng pictures mo :( sna naging professional si make up artist :( sayang talent nya and syang po tinalent fee nyo :(

Anonymous said...

Dba nag trial makeup kayo?how come naging ganyan ang outcome on the big day na?i bet nagsosyakan pa ang makeup artist mo

Anonymous said...

Hi. Ano po IG nung makeup artist? 😒

Raleene said...

@Anonymous 3:38- what does "nagsosyakan" mean? Well she was rushing as I mentioned she was an hour and a half late. She piled on too much product too quickly.

Unknown said...

I'm glad MAC Face and Body Foundation worked out for you bec I believe this gives like a strong flashback on camera, as I was told by my Makeup teacher....

Unknown said...

No one should experience this on her VERY special day! Wedding event should be treated with respect because we, as Filipino do this once, and once only, so everything should be planned and well-taken care of, because there's no retake or reshoot for this very special day. Honestly, I would feel the same given the treatment the makeup artist gave you mabuti na lang someone was there to help you fix your makeup. I am a makeup artist for 6yrs and I must say, while the basics can be learned by anyone, TRUE ARTISTRY and PROFESSIONALISM, in my opinion, is something that few people can truly MASTER.

mmo102683 said...

Agree! Never trust Instagram or any photos posted on social media as it has a lot of filters! When I do wedding make-up, I make it sure that I'm always beside the bride up to the reception. As I look at your photos, it seems that she's not using branded make-up and masyado makapal ang Fonda that's why nag-cake ��.

Unknown said...

What foundation did she use?

Raleene said...

@Jhay Yu some cream foundation from MAC... But the primer was generic, I couldn't recognize it.

Anne G. said...

Makeup caked because she used a thick foundation on you. Looking at your skin, di mo kailangan ng heavy coverage that's the reason too why MAC face and body (no matter how watery and runny) worked for you. I guess the main culprit here is, the MUA rushing to finish her job didn't take a good look of your skin and it's needs at that moment. She did it generically like how she does it with numerous faces she's made up. It's your wedding, you don't own their whole being, but you should have their loyalty. Spotlight should be yours.

Unknown said...

dapat nag Say Santayana ka nalang girl.

Anonymous said...

hi i would just like to ask hindi po ba siya nag airbrush?

Anonymous said...

How much did u pay? My cousin who is also a make up artist knows her/him (I didn't know he's a gay, infairness..he looks like a real woman) Anywayz, super mahal daw magcharge tong si Erika Diaz.Sikat lang sya kasi marami xang kapit na sikat rin na wedding suppliers.
Bakit ang ganda mo at ang super linis ng make up mo sa trial make up session nyo? Edited na ba yun?

Raleene said...

@Janella- my wedding was in Cebu plus I know a lot of makeup artists from both Manila and Cebu, I just believed her profile and thought my face was really easy to work with so I thought nothing would go wrong. The fact that my makeup was cakey should've been fixed had she stayed or had she delegated well enough to fix that situation beforehand.

@Anonymous 1:49- I don't normally need airbrush, believe me. Makeup artists usually say that. She also said that and I went with it. She just packed on too much primer and foundation on the day so the humidity and my sweat caught up to it. Again, would've been fixed had she stayed or had she given her other MUAs instructions to assist me.

@Anonymous 8:00- She didn't make me pay for the rest of her fee after the incident but I already paid her a total of Php 7,000. Still not worth the stress I was put under on MY wedding day. My trial makeup session was good because (1) the foundation and primer were both thin layers, (2) it was in a controlled, air-conditioned room, (3) that was immediately after she put on my makeup and (4) shot in front of a ring light that she brought in. My skin is normally super clear and my other MUA friends can attest to that. It's supposedly an easy canvas! It's just that she was in a hurry cos she quadruple booked, she didn't instruct others to attend to me and she piled on too much product too quickly (again, she was late for an hour and a half).

Anonymous said...

My sister's friend is getting married next year and asked me if I know a good MUA. Without second thoughts, I immediately said GERY PENASO. He was my niece's MUA on her 18th birthday and he's amazing!

Angry Andrea Rose said...

You should see my wedding makeup - DISASTER. My face is completely yellow and the foundation is caked on (in a bad way) even though I have very fair, almost flawless skin. My eyeliner is thick and makes my eyes look very small. You can see the contour lines. Seriously, the worst makeup I have ever had done. I almost can't believe that my makeup was done by a professional. If you look at all of this MUA's other bride photos they look GORGEOUS. She was 1.5 hours late and I feel like she rushed my makeup. I wish I could go back and redo my wedding so we could take photos and be able to use them all, rather than just use a fraction of the photos due to how yellow my face looked against my white shoulders/chest.

Ena said...

OMG! My sis was really scared to read this and after showing me this pictures I am really tensed now. Till I must say, YOU ARE Brave girl !! My wedding is in this year. I live in UK. I am very tensed, about whom I should chose. I heard Lina Cameron is awesome here, also have seen some of her works. To me she is really good and best make-up lesson . What do you think?