Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cagayan de Oro (part 1)


A few of my high school batchmates and I decided to book tickets to Cagayan de Oro after Sinulog since my college buddies Ayen & Steph convinced us to visit while they were guests at my house. I've been to CDO before with the girls from PSID (see previous posts here and here) and I had loads of fun, so I was so excited to travel again with my childhood friends (most of us have been classmates from nursery til high school!). 

Our group had 3 girls and 9 boys, plus Ayen and Steph (who flew in from Manila just for us!)

I arrived with Kaine, Jed and Javy first and our flight was at 4AM. River trekking was supposed to be the first thing on our agenda, but we had to cancel it since the rain was so strong that morning. We even thought a storm was coming! Thankfully the weather got better at around 11. 

We waited for more people and had lunch at Candy's at the new Centrio/Ayala mall. 

CDO
CDO
CDO
CDO
This ice cream cake was amazing! It was 6" across and it wasn't too sweet. Totally forgot the name but it was the only ice cream cake they had. The lady took it out of the fridge when I asked what dessert was good for sharing. 

We picked up some more people at the airport after lunch and proceeded to the hotel (The Ridge View Chalets). Some of us slept and then freshened up before dinner and some drinks. 

DAY 2- Dahilayan Adventure Park

Most of us have already tried the zip lines so we were looking forward to the new installment in the park which was the Drop Zone. We still went on the longer zip line upon arriving since the pass allowed us to try out all the rides.  

CDO
CDO
CDO

I was able to take a video and some photos of the view while on the zip line

CDO
CDO

The Drop Zone hauls you up 120 feet. You swing downwards as soon as you pull the release. Some of my friends were about to cry and my other friend closed her eyes the entire time. I guess it's not easy to look at if you're scared of heights. 

CDO
CDO

I was talking to Kaine during the way up and as soon as we swung downwards we just concentrated on the view so we were so quiet during the entire thing. You can hear Red yelling "Boooring!" right before I scream "Rock On!" in the most whiny voice.

CDO
CDO


After Dahilayan we went to Kampo Juan where we tried the Anicycle, another zip line and the hanging bridge.

CDO
cool chairs and tables made entirely out of tires

CDO
CDO
CDO
It's basically a bike that has grooves on its tires as guides for the wires. The only trick to getting across without the fear of falling off (trust me, the bikes shake A LOT) is to remember that you're wired and strapped so it's perfectly safe! I love these types of things since you can really see everything below and around you. It's amazing!

CDO
CDO
CDO
CDO
CDO
The hanging bridge for me was the only one that was slightly scary. If you fall you land on the rocks on the river so it's instant death! Kidding aside, you're still strapped and all so shaking the bridge to scare your friends can be fun. By the way, that's the area where my iPhone fell off. The zip line before this required us to lean back before the end so it slipped out of my pocket. There was just too much force caused by the breaks. The battery's drained so the forest gnomes and fairies might need to rely on solar power to be able to use that thing.

We had dinner at a Filipino restaurant then some wine to end the night.

CDO
CDO
Missy BonBon gelato

Some photos around the hotel we stayed in...

CDO
CDO
CDO
CDO

That's all for day 1 and 2!

Read about day 3 here...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never wanted summer so bad till after going through your photos! That sky fall looks AMAZING! I totally want to try that!

xo
Maggie A
Love Scrapbook