Monday, August 10, 2009

PDPA

I can't live without a PDA but my phone's becoming more like a Personal Digital PAIN in the ASS!

the not-so-trusty Palm Treo 750

My dad and I spent the whole Sunday trying to fix my Palm Treo. He wanted to back up my contacts and schedules in his old PC so I would have them on file & so I could transfer them to my Mac. He also installed this antivirus software which only ended up making it run at a GLACIAL PACE. So of course, he had to uninstall it after I attempted to text people.

Seriously, I had to schedule a shoot, plan and meet up with a client + some friends and that phone made it so hard for me to function the entire day. Had to tell people to reply to my other (Sun) phone instead. Opening the address book took ages as well (think 20 minutes).

I take care of my things, especially gadgets because I am a gadget geek. My whole family is! Nothing gets us excited as much as opening a new box of techy goodness. So you might be asking why my phone looks so darn beaten up. Well, I sort of started hating it after it refused to sync with my PC, and when it started lagging even after cleaning up my files and messages. Taking it to the service center forced it to behave for a couple of weeks, but it eventually got back to its evil ways of making me frustrated about not being able to organize and accomplish things quickly...

So far, this is the only gadget that's ever given me headaches. I've posted numerous times on my Facebook status that I've lost my phone somewhere in my house on silent mode simply because I couldn't remember the last place I put it since I hated texting with it (the keys are so hard already compared to my other friend's Palm Treo) and I'd rather IM people or call people. For months I've hated sending out texts and I've used my bulky Moleskine organizer for schedules instead of the fuss-free PDA.

I really think it's time for me to part with THAT thing. I don't normally hate my gizmos that quick (that phone's only a year old) but it's such a waste of time to keep trying to fix it. Don't get me wrong, there was a time when Treo and I worked in perfect harmony. I mean, seriously, my life depended on it. I thought it was just perfect. Dropped it a couple of times, I blame myself for the scratches and dents but hey, at one point I thought it looked cool and sorta gave it that edgy look (call me crazy, whatever). But now I'm ready to whisper a fond adieu. When you really can't depend on a gadget anymore and it isn't willing to get fixed, there's nothing else you can do.

SO I'm thinking about getting the new 32-gig iPhone 3Gs or the BlackBerry Storm.
VS.

The bad thing about the Blackberry is that the desktop software for Mac has yet to be released this September AND it only has a built-in memory of 1GIG. I mean seriously, what am I supposed to do with only 1 gig? Expandable memory, yes, but I've been traumatized enough with using numerous SD cards with my Treo.

As with the new iPhone, hmm... No cons for now (since it's not out here yet & I don't fully trust online reviews) but I'm scared about the battery life even if they claim that it's going to be miles better than the previous iPhone. And what's up with all my friends' old iPhones acting up just when the new one's about to get released (even if you've updated the software)? Hmmm.....

14 comments:

Kryz said...

we have the same treo haha. I'm still in the "loving it" stage though. AND YEAH, everyones iPhones are dyingggg. i think the software updater thing is a scam!

The Frocker said...

I'd suggest going for the iPhone... I've only heard bad things about the BB touchscreen.

Raleene said...

Kryz- When did u get your Treo? There are stylish new models but I can't live with the Windows OS anymore. hehe. I think it's a scam, too! Seriously. Imagine ALL of my iphone-lovin friends are getting pissed. haha

theFrocker- Oh goshh. See online reviews only try to magnify the pros! haha. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

my friend mentioned that as you use your iphone more and more the battery diminishes and so does its battery life.

Raleene said...

anon- i think that works for most phones, but hmm do they have a way to fix the battery without having to open it up? cos my friend had that problem with the old iphone and they said they could fix it but they'd have to cut through it. that sucks.

janna said...

dude we have the same phone haha. I hve a palm treo too and it's red. When I first got it I was so cool or felt like I was cool coz it looked cool haha. But now I'm kinda tired with it and it's giving up on me, sort of. I have it for over a year now but I'm also thinking of getting a new phone. A blackberry tour or bold prolly. Don't ever get the storm. It sucks coz my friends have it and the iPhone 3gs is major coolio my friends have it too. I'm the only loser and a major loser for typing so long lol

That's all period haha

Raleene said...

janna- yeah im leaning towards the iphone 3gs now! the buttons on my treo are just killing me. seriously. i use my cheap nokia phone more often now just cos the keypads are better. :))

Anonymous said...

you should go for the iPhone 3Gs. my friend got one when globe released it just this month. im thinking about getting one too :)

Anonymous said...

I'll go for the iphone 3g Ralene.
at least you wouldn't have any compatibility issues when plugging it to your mac desktop...surely it will work in a sync because they both came from the same developer/manufacturer:)

In the battery lifespan,just like in any gadgets,try to read different reviews bout it which I think u already did as a wise shopper:)people often had a problem on battery lifespan because of improper handling, strictly follow the charging time specified for any gadgets and it will surely help on saving your battery lifespan:)don't over charge it:)

well good luck!

Anonymous said...

for the problems of your friends,maybe the earlier iphones don't have some of the added features of the new released iphones.
The new released iphones might have an updated hardwares in it to support the updated version of the desktop software that's why the "older" released iphones were not able to support the updates and will have a problem.....:(
":)"

Raleene said...

Thanks sooo much, guys!!! :D seriouslyyy. :)

Ayden said...

Avoid the Black Berry storm. At all costs. When I upgraded, I had a choice between the BBS and iPhone, I couldn't get the iPhone due to a lack of reception, and when I was leaning to towards the BBS, I discovered some major problems with the software, the keypad, the scrolling, and the menus.

The iPhone is fantastic as long as you make sure you have excellent reception where you live, travel, and work. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with a very nifty gadget that is absolutely useless to you. And yes, the problem with Apple's small gadgets is that in order to fix anything with the battery--they can't. It would cost them more to fix the battery then it would for them to replace it for you.

Guess which one they do?

I ended up with the LG Dare, even though I keep having to switch SD cards, that can be fixed by a 16 gig SD card.

Hope that helped. =/

Raleene said...

Ayden- woah, thanks a bunch! yeah your 'review' helped a lot. imma tell my dad about it (cos he was the one pushing for the blackberry). :)

Anonymous said...

the storm is nothing compared to the iphone, probably the only thing they have in common is that they're both touch screen. look at the other models for Blackberry, like the Bold 9000.